Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Favorite Hair Products (For Curly and Relaxed hair)

For years I have fought with and struggled to tame my unruly curly hair. Being mixed (black and white) also didn't help because my mother had no idea what to do with it either. But a few years ago I decided that enough was enough and took my hair issues into my own hands. My beloved hair stylist suggested that I get it relaxed, but I also didn't want to lose my curls--it felt like losing a part of me. So I went for the next best thing--texlaxed! Texlaxed is different from relaxed, it means that although your hair is chemically treated, the chemicals aren't strong enough to completely straighten your hair. Getting your hair texlaxed simply means its relaxed, but still curly, just not as curly as before. And now I have concoted a list of my most beloved products, accessories and tools for my sometimes unruly hair. And all of these products are under $10 (good for me because I'm a poor teenager)! xx


1. Pantene Pro-V Truly Natural Hair Cleansing Conditioner
$5 at Walmart 

I started using this conditioner a few months before I got my hair relaxed and have been using it ever since! Or at least this conditioner's sister, Pantene Pro-V Relaxed and Natural Conditioner for Women of Color (its name literally makes me cringe, but its a great product nonetheless). Both of these conditioners are absolutely wonderful (and literally are the same product with a different bottle). They will give your dry hair just the right amount of moisture it needs and it smells like coconuts! :) Tip: if you have extremely, extremely dry hair like I do, don't completely rinse out this conditioner in the shower--it'll keep your moisture in all day!


2. Pantene Pro-V Truly Relaxed Hair Intense Moisturizing Shampoo
$4 at Walmart

Look its my conditioners best friend! This shampoo I've been using since the conditioner, and it works very well. I only shampoo once or twice a week (don't freak out my hair stylist told me to), but it works fabulously every time! And its definitely a bargain for its quality.


3. ISO Tamer Foam Smoother Hair Styling Serum 
$9 on Amazon

I absolutely love this stuff! I have repurchased over and over again, it is so amazing. This serum has the look and feel of a mousse product, but doesn't leave your hair sticky or crunchy. It gets the frizz and fluff out, but leaves it soft and smooth all day long! I recommend this to everyone, not just those with curly hair. This is definitely on my top 10 list of best products I've EVER used!


4. Cantu Conditioning She Butter Cream
$6 at Walmart ($10 on Amazon for a pack of 2)


This is by far the best leave in conditioner I've ever used, and I've tried quite a few. It super thick and creamy and will keep your hair soft and frizz-free even without a gel or mousse. It smells amazing and also doubles as a deep conditioner. This is definitely one of the best conditioning treatments I've ever used. Anyone who's hair needs a good moisture treatment needs this product!


5. Garnier Fructis Style Hi-Rise Lift Root Booster
$3 at Walmart

If you're thinking that this is a strange product to find on a curly girl's list of best products, you are absolutely right. But I have good reason for loving this product! Whenever I get my hair touched up no matter what I tell my stylist ("It was too straight last time, can you please, please do a formula that's a bit lighter?) I walk out of the hair salon with completely flat hair. And I. Hate. Flat. Hair. So for the next month or two when I'm trying to give my flat roots some life, this product is my best friend! If you need a little a volume definitely check this out!


6. Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conditioner 
$6-8 depending on specific store, Walmart
This is definitely my favorite deep conditioner, and it smells ah-ma-zing (like fresh oranges!). This product is very creamy and works wonders! I leave it on with a shower cap overnight and wake up in the morning to perfectly soft and supple strands, its like my hair had never been damaged at all! But this can sometimes be tricky to find, but what else isn't when the ethnic hair care aisle in Walmart is approximately 3 feet long? If you really want to try this (and I suggest you do), but can't find it at Walmart, Amazon also has it for around $8.

7. Garnier Fructis Style Extra Strong Curl Construct Mousse
$3 at Walmart

Although I'm not a huge fan of mousse, this is by far the best I've tried. I like how lightweight it is, and doesn't make me feel like I put 10 pounds of product in my hair like a lot of other mousses do. It also really cheap which my bank account thanks me for, anyone in search of a nice and reliable lightweight mousse--look no further!


8. Scunci No-Slip Grip Flat Soft Hairbands
$3 for a pack of 3 at Walmart

Another strange occurrence on this list, but I'm telling you this headband is like a godsend. If you ever feel like your hair is everywhere, in your face or just kind of blah, these will be your savior. They're a lot thicker and more durable than other elastic headbands. They are also smaller, so they don't stretch out easily or feel lose. I am absolutely in love with these headbands and where them around the house almost everyday.


9. Diane Ionic Extra Wide Comb With Handle
$3.50 on Amazon

I've had this comb for most of my life and this is the top of my list of "Things Jordan Absolutely Can Not Live Without." This is a must for not only curly-haired girls, but every girl. You're actually supposed to use a wide tooth comb on your hair rather than a hair brush when your hair is wet. If you are tired of nasty split ends or ripping your hair out, try investing in a wide tooth comb.


10. A lace bow! 
$2 at Forever 21

And last but not least a lace bow! Of course I couldn't complete this list without it. Though not quite the little lace bow you may have imagined because this bow is massive, but it is by far one of my most beloved hair accessories--along with all my other hair bows! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment